Saturday, April 30, 2011

"You're Only Old Once" by Dr. Seuss

I celebrated my 77th birthday on Easter Day, the only time that both will coincide in my life-time! According to the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer, "Easter Day is always the Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox on March 21, a date which is fixed in accordance with an ancient ecclesiastical computation, and which does not always correspond to the astronomical equinox." It has occured on April 24th once in 189 years!

It was especially significant for me since I share my birth date with two friends. The Rev. Karen Ann Campbell, a close friend for whom I worked for nine years, and her family invited me to join them for the day. We went to church and Karen preached a wonderful sermon, had lunch at a very lovely restaurant and then shared gifts and birthday cake at her home. It was a very joyous celebration! All my children and friends called me when I got home in the late afternoon and I felt very honored and loved! During the week I was invited to lunch twice by another two of my close friends to celebrate. The first took me to our favorite seafood restaurant, and the second, took me to a charming tea room with a collection of antiques where we enjoyed delicious food and browsing.

At age 77, how do I feel? I am aware that I am growing old! That my memory sometimes falters.That my motivation to make changes (like losing weight) is lost. That my mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. That three quarters of my life has been lived (maybe more!). That I tire more easily. That insomnia is becoming regular. That I cannot read as fast as I used to. That I cannot do all the things that used to give me so much pleasure.

I am aware that I'm on a slippery slope! But I am also aware that I'm "in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in!" (Dr. Seuss) And for today I'm grateful for the shape I'm in. I am still pretty adept at the computer and with a camera and a GPS has restored my comfort level with travel. I can handle a simple cell phone but I seem to be missing the gene all young people seem to have.

I am now three years from being an octogenarian! My father lived for 88 years and my mother for 86 years so odds are that I will live until 80 something. How do I feel about that? That will require another blog to discuss! When I was very young and survived rheumatic fever I always felt that I would have a healthy old age. Funny, the crazy ideas that you get! I am doing all the things that older adults are supposed to do to stay mentally alert and have "quality of life." I will just have to be the best I can be and wait and see!! It will be an interesting journey!

Look with mercy, O God our Father, on all whose increasing years bring them weakness, distress, or isolation, Provide for them homes of dignity and peace; give them understanding helpers, and the willingness to accept help; and, as their strength diminishes, increase their faith and their assurance of your love. This we ask in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Book of Common Prayer

1 comment:

  1. I read this shortly after you posted I should have responded then :) I love reading your blogs! I am also very glad to hear you had such a wonderful day on your birthday. I keep in touch with my friend Retta from NC, her daughter and Tavia's best friend, Sky, shares your birthday! I told her about it being a once in a life time occurrence on Easter.

    ReplyDelete