Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Retirement

My son, Dean, who was retiring from the Army with thirty years of service, was expecting the date to be set sometime in April.   I was expecting the date of my first consolidation at the same time.  I had an appointment with Dr. Sprague and her intern, Dr. Chakra.  Chakra is his first name but everyone in the hospital calls him Dr. Chakra.  He is from Nepal.  I have always wanted to attend Dean's retirement ceremony because I had missed his father's due to our divorce.  I had also missed my father's retirement because we were stationed in Germany at the time.  Dr. Sprague seemed to sense my deep desire and decided to delay the consolidation, making it possible for me to go to Pennsylvania!  She scheduled it for May 3rd.  She also decided to remove my pick and to have a port installed for the remainder of my treatment so I wouldn't have to worry with flushing the pick daily.  Dean's retirement was set for April 20th and I flew via Southwest to Pennsylvania on the 18th.  I am so appreciative of Dr. Sprague's sensitivity to the emotional needs of her patients. 

The retirement ceremony was attended by Missy, her two daughters (my granddaughters), and her most recent boyfriend, Lee; Bobbie, Dean's ex-wife and their three children, Travis, Charlie, and Kady (my grandchildren); Dean's former mother-in-law, Kay McClelland; and Chris and Jim Chapman, a classmate of my husband's and the person for whom Dean was named!  Dean's due date to be born was very close to the end of February and it was a leap year, the day of Jim's birthday.  Both Jim and Chuck had had a few drinks and Chuck agreed that if Dean were born on leap year day, Dean would be named after Jim.  Dean Chapman Stodter instead of Dean Travis Stodter, Dean being the name of his maternal Grandfather and Travis, the name of his Great-Grandfather.  As luck would have it, Dean was born on leap year day!  He was named and christened Dean Chapman Stodter. 

There were many of  Dean's co-workers, fellow classmates and friends present.  After several presentations, Dean received the Ancient Order of Saint Barbara, which is rarely awarded and a great honor to receive as an Artillery man; the Legion of Merit Medal; and a Certificate from President Barak Obama thanking him for his thirty years of service.  Then Dean was given the microphone.  One minute for one year!  He had put together a wonderful slide show which showed his Great Grandfather, Col Ezra Stodter, a graduate of West Point, and his family; a slide of his Grandfather, Col. Charles Stowe Stodter, a graduate of MIT--his brother John was the graduate of West Point; and a wonderful slide of his father, Col. Charles Stowe Stodter, Jr.; and a slide of his Grandfather for whom he is named, LTC Vonual Dean Beavers.  He also showed a slide of me and acknowledged my influence!  Dean recognized everyone and paid tribute to them all.  150 years of service!  Everyone applauded enthusiastically at the end of the speech.  Dean was "retired!"

Part of my desire to be at the retirement was because I felt that it was, in a way, my "retirement" too.  My father was a member of the National Guard when I was born, later to fight in WWII, and to serve for 33 years.  I married a young lieutenant who was a career Army officer, had a son who was a career Army officer and had three grandchildren who had served, two of whom were wounded.  Now I am no longer a "dependent!"  I am still eligible for medical coverage, the commisary and PX rights but I am without a "sponsor!"  It seems strange.  I have lived as a civilian for 30 years but have never identified myself as one!

Afterward, we all gathered at a cafe run by the Menonites who very graciously, closed the cafe to other customers and prepared a delicious spread of hors d'ouevre.  Everyone was in a festive mood and there was much laughter and good conversation.

At last, it was over!  Everyone poured into the parking lot and drove to their homes or hotels.  A good time was had by all and I was still standing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment