Saturday, August 17, 2013

Blogging Is A Lot Like Walking



Blogging is a lot like walking.  It should be done every day and early in the morning.  I have started a regimen of walking in order to overcome my bout with leukemia.  I have never been a very athletic person.  It doesn't come naturally to me.  And I blog intermittently.  This morning, during my walk, I had the idea that perhaps blogging about my progress might prove to be an impetus to walking.  My two sons were also helpful. Chuck ran a hundred mile race and won on his first try!  He also ran the Boston Marathon twice.  And Dean has run triathlons and ironmans.  So, at the age of 79, I am hoping to train myself!

The first thing that I bought was a pedometer.  My first goal was to walk one mile, the approximate distance of walking to the entrance of Merrimack Meadows and returning, taking all the loops along the way.  Three on the left and two on the right.  It is the distance of one mile.  I am amazed that I can now manage a mile!  I added a "loop" this morning by going past my house.

My pedometer read 74 this morning.  I don't have a clue to what that means!  My pedometer measures distance or calories.  I will be spending time today reading and trying to understand my instruction manual.  I feel certain that knowing how far I've gone will add incentive to walking.

I am walking in black knit trousers and a t-shirt and, on days that are cool, I wear a gray sweatshirt.  I have bought two pairs of athletic shoes, a black, red, and fluorescent green from New Balance, and a pair of silver sneakers by Calvin Klein, from Marshalls.  I also have a pair of New Balance light weight, light gray sneakers, and purple Nike's.  It always helps to look good!

I usually start from my condo at 6 o'clock in the morning.  It is a very pleasant time to walk.  A few cars leave for work at that time and there are always other walkers.  One of the benefits is meeting other people and meeting their dogs!  I frequently meet a woman named Linda, who lives right behind me and who has a small black dog who is very friendly.  Yesterday I met a man who was walking a beautiful brindle colored greyhound and had a very interesting conversation.  His dog was named "Earl Gray" but called Curly because of his tail.  He was adopted from the greyhounds who race at Salem and Earl Gray had been a winner at the track.  He is now eleven years old and his racing days are over.  Today I met the man's wife who was walking Curly this morning.

The birds are still singing in the morning which is very pleasant  and I am making progress.  I am able to walk without my cane and am delighted that my balance is growing stronger.  I am also walking at a faster pace.  I hope that walking will help to improve my memory!  I am enjoying nature, the lovely trees and beautiful flowers and a serenity of spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment