Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Dawn

I went for my walk at 7 o'clock this morning and walked the entire course--straight up and down the main road and all the loops--two miles.  I am slow and would lose my breath if I weren't stopping to take pictures!  I am pleased with my progress and wonder how long it will be before I try to go further.  

I received Dawn's race report this morning!  She wrote, "The quick facts: 2.4 mile swim in a fjord after jumping off a car ferry; 112 miles of biking involving about 10,000 vertical feet of climbing up to the highest mountain plateau in Europe and then 4 mountain passes; 26.2 miles of running including over 4.5 miles at a 10% grade up Zombie Hill..."  Dawn is 40 years old!  She continues "It took me over 19 hours.  I was on my bike saddle for over 10 hours.  I vomited multiple times and passed and was re-passed by a group of three  begging sheep. Yes, sheep.  Sheep with bells.  And no, the sheep were not a hallucination."  It was a 6 page typewritten report of her performance during the race.  

I am very proud to know her and even prouder to know her as a member of our family.  She was the 212th finisher out of 215.  And ten competitors did not make it to the finish line.

She made it with the help of a good support team.  Dean managed to overcome my resistance to walking and all my children support me.  Chuck, Dean, Cheryl, and Missy.  I have, when younger, 
liked certain athletics--horse back riding and skiing--but fate intervened and I had to give them up.  Now I am trying to walk in the hope that my brain will become stronger.  That is my goal!  The greatest difficulty for me is to walk in all kinds of weather and to not
make excuses because of rain or snow or other kinds of inclement weather.   

No comments:

Post a Comment