Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chemo Brain


This is my third try on writing a blog I now call Frustration and Flashbacks.  I have tried twice and both times lost the blogs because I am plugged into the Tufts Medical Center which frequently has power failures.  It is one of the most prestigious hospitals in America and deserves all the praise it receives.  It is wonderful and I am grateful to have had their medical insurance and to have been sent here.  But their frequent power failures are very upsetting!
I had intended writing about my first hospitalization, an experience that I do not remember well.  Several of the staff has commented on how sick I was and how amazed they are at my recovery.  But I think that tonight, after losing two blogs, I will write about what is bothering me the most.  Chemo Brain.

I did a computer search on The American Cancer Society and was encouraged to read that “the brain usually recovers over time.”  The following are symptomatic of what doctors and researchers call chemo brain or “mild cognitive impairment.” 
  •        Memory lapses
  •        Trouble concentrating
  •        Trouble remembering details like names or dates
  •        Trouble multi-tasking
  •        Taking longer to finish things
  •        Trouble remembering common words (unable to find the right words to finish a sentence.

“The people who are having problems are well aware of the differences in their thinking.”  It can be very embarrassing and I worry a lot about repeating myself.  I can provide personal examples of each of the above.  I am doing things more slowly than I used to even when I’m feeling good.  Especially reading.  One of my greatest pleasures has become a source of frustration to me.  I have trouble frequently remembering words.  I couldn’t recall the name of a friend whom I have known for almost 30 years! 

Many things can factor into the above problems.  I have come to think of myself as a trifecta of conditions.  I am 78 years old, I had a stroke four years ago, and am now recovering from leukemia.  When I have memory lapses, take longer to finish things, or have trouble remembering common words I wonder if it’s because of being older, having had a stroke or chemo brain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment