Saturday, June 9, 2012

Second Consolidation Completed

Today is the last day of my hospitalization at Tufts Medical Center. I am receiving my sixth and last chemotherapy at 3:00 o'clock which takes about an hour and a half and then I will be free to go! I am feeling a little tired and a little off balance because my immune system is destroyed and it will take a few days to build back up. I will be back on Tuesday for a shot to help the process and to give blood and on Thursday to see my doctor. I am anxious to go home but a little sad saying good-bye to the "saints" on the oncology ward! They have truly been wonderful and I will miss their camaraderie and care.


My next hurdle will be another bone marrow test! Then my name goes into the computer for random selection to one of two paths. 


I am on an everything cooked diet until my white blood cells have returned to normal. No salads or other raw foods. I googled diet plans designed to promote health in cancer patients. After years of over-eating, I have to learn to be more concerned. No more pie or cake for breakfast!


I am fortunate because in spite of neglecting my health as I've grown older, I am strong and healthy except for the cancer. Now I'm going to try to get a little bit healthier. 


Twice, Dr. Sprague has acknowledged the fact that I had a stroke and being taken seriously reassures me. And I am sure that she factors in my age as well. 


I have said so many good-byes in my life-time of military moving and they are always difficult! 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment