Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Infusion

The car had a flat on Sunday just as we pulled out to go to church. So on Monday we had to go into Tufts using commuter rail. The train leaves every hour at 15 minutes past the hour. It takes you into North Station in Boston. We caught the 9:15 train. As you exit the train station, to your right a few feet is the entrance to the "T", Boston's subway system. The Orange Line takes you to a stop that is directly underneath Tufts Medical Center!


We did all of the above and arrived at the Lab at 10:45 a.m. Three people were in front of me, and ordinarily it didn't take too long. But this particular morning it was taking an extraordinarily long time. I went to check on my status and was told that they had had several emergencies. They would see me as soon as possible. I thanked them and tried to hide my frustration. You don't want to irritate the nurse who is shortly going to stick a needle in your chest!


My name was called next and my blood was sent to a doctor to determine if I needed an infusion. I needed an infusion of platelets. Mine were very low. Dr. Chakra (the assistant to my doctor, Dr. Sprague) came around to reassure me that I  would be out of there by 2 o'clock.


I sent Cheryl to get some lunch for us and I went to the infusion lounge to wait. There were no chairs available for new patients. At 2 pm I was called in
but had to wait again for a nurse to be available. I was feeling very tired and slept through most of the infusion. I was released and we headed for North Station around 3:30 pm and got home around 5:30 pm, quite a bit worse for the wear!
I was exhausted! 


Cheryl went to get the car while I waited one last time. The waiting room was cool but not enough to trigger what happened to me next. I took a chill and started shaking. No one else seemed to be bothered but I was freezing! I continued to shake uncontrollably until we arrived at home and after and Cheryl covered me with a blanket. I ate half a sandwich and went to bed. I don't think I moved all night! Nor did I wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment