Wednesday, June 13, 2012

First Consolidation

I was hospitalized for my first consolidation after the trip to Carlisle for Dean's retirement. Cheryl returned from a trip to Arizona on the 3rd of May and drove me to Tufts. "Consolidation" is a six day period of chemotherapy that is less intense than the first time. Cheryl awoke on the 4th running a fever and couldn't come see me. She went to the emergency room and was diagnosed as having a sinus infection. The rooms on the oncology ward are kept as sterile as possible. All visitors and staff wear robes and plastic gloves to protect the patient from infection. 


Cheryl did not recover until the end of the week and returned to pick me up. You are released from the hospital as soon as your last chemotherapy is given. There is a higher incidence of infection occurring in a hospital than in your own home.  


Since I had no visitors that week it became retreat time and I had brought a book to read. "The Good Book" by the Reverend Professor Peter J. Gomes. He was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1942 and graduated from Harvard Divinity School. He studied at Tuskegee Institute and in 1970 he came to Harvard as assistant minister in The Memorial Church. In 1974 he was appointed Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Pusey Minister in The Memorial Church, Harvard University. A good friend of mine had given me his book of Sermons several years ago and I had not yet read them. I had heard of Reverend Gomes and that he was really good but I have a lot of books to read.  I don't know why I bought another book by him without reading the first but I did. I thought that "The Good Book" was the last book he had written before his death but it wasn't. 


I began reading and became mesmerized by what I read. It is about reading the Bible. He covered many topics such as "Women and the Bible," "The Bible and Science," "The Bible and Homosexuality," which made it easy to jump around and not necessarily read straight through. As I read more and more I knew that I hadn't adequately prepared myself. I didn't have a highlighter pen or any other means to mark the passages that were most relevant to me.  


The staff of nurses and technicians were in and out taking vital signs and checking on me, of course, and I enjoyed it very much. Several stayed and talked for a while and some commented that they liked coming to my room. I reveled in the attention and met several people that had we been connected in another way would probably have become friends because we shared interests. Everyone asked about the book I was reading and they gave me paper for notes and found a highlighter for me!


I was most impressed by Reverend Gomes inclusiveness. He excluded no one from the love of God. He was also a wonderful writer and at times I felt the need for a dictionary! I read and re-read. The book excited me and touched me   in ways not usually experienced. I finished the book while in the hospital and read parts of the book a second time. I was enjoying a "high" all week long! I recommended the book to everyone. 


A woman who was with social services came to see me and said she would  like for the chaplain to meet me. I agreed that it would be nice. The chaplain was a woman and she came up to see me that afternoon. I enjoyed meeting her but probably talked too much! 


I was so disappointed that I had not known about Reverend Gomes when he was at Harvard. I could have driven to the chapel and attended services and heard him in person. A lost opportunity that I regret. 


I intend to review "The Good Book" again. Especially the chapters of special interest. And I am now reading "The Gospel of Jesus Christ" and enjoying a sermon before sleeping at night! Though he is no longer living and I never met him, he has had a profound influence on my spiritual life and I am grateful to have met him.


A meaningful quote from his chapter on Women and the Bible:


"When the congregation is asked to sing 'Rise Up, O Men of God,' are the women to remain seated, or are they to think of themselves as Elizabeth I did, as a man trapped in the puny body of a woman?"


The Reverend Peter J. Gomes, Preacher to Harvard University
"The Good Book, Reading the Bible with Mind and Heart"































No comments:

Post a Comment