Saturday, June 2, 2012

"When I was sick and lay a-bed...The Land of Counterpane - Robert Louis Stevenson

Making lists as a means to remembering important dates and events is becoming a way for me to jog my memory.  They are a sort of shorthand reminder of my history which I do not seem to be able to recall rapidly.  The very act of writing certain information down becomes a "re-learning" technique and helps me to recall significant events.  For instance, my medical history.


When first asked, I had forgotten several instances of ill health.  Rheumatic Fever, I remembered as being of profound significance, limiting my early childhood and determining future characteristics. I was about four or five years old when it was diagnosed and about ten when I was declared cured.  I took one of the Sulfa drugs for three years, a relatively new drug .  I remember many trips to the hospital for intravenous shots and illnesses.  Strep throat was a common one.  I was not allowed to run or play and spent a great deal of time in bed.  Fortunately I loved to read.  Among my favorite books was "A Child's Garden of Verses" by Robert Louis Stevenson from which I adopted my life-long motto, 


"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings. 


My mother and I lived in an apartment where my grandmother, Nanny, and her husband, "Doc," (the only dentist in Blackwell) also had an apartment.  Mother and I were waiting for the return of my father who was serving in the war.  I missed time in school and my mother had to carry me to a balcony so I could be exposed to the sun and fresh air.  A very traumatic incident occurred one day.  I was the only person on the balcony, resting in a lounge chair, and I saw a caterpillar slowly crawling across the balcony.  I was terrified!  I was terrified by worms and all creepy, crawly creatures!  Fortunately, my mother arrived just in time to rescue me.  I was a very obedient child and would never have left on my own two feet!  I wasn't allowed to walk.


I wasn't allowed to do many things because of rheumatic fever.  I couldn't take ballet which I longed to do.  I didn't participate in any sports and when it became possible, I was a young teenager and too embarrassed to try.  I graduated from High School in three years and started college a year early because my father was being sent to Germany again.  I was very shy and my first two years at Stephen's College in Missouri didn't help.  An all girl's school was not a good choice for me.  I didn't have a date for the first year.  But I did learn how to swim!


I was drawn to Sunday School and started going at a young age.  And somewhere along the way I adopted the belief that because I had been ill as a child, I would be free from illness in my old age.  It hasn't worked out that way and I was very shocked when diagnosed as having leukemia!

This blog entry has gone off track!  I meant to write about making lists.  Thus far I have made the families birthday list, my list of medical information, a list of my spiritual life and a list of things to be done and a list of names participating in my various activities.  Old telephone directories (usually hand made by volunteers) are useful.  The lists are helping me to remember and helping me to avoid embarrassing lapses of memory!  


   

No comments:

Post a Comment