Saturday, June 2, 2012

Friendship

Yesterday was a wonderful day spent with a dear friend of mine whom I have known for at least twenty years.  I met her at an all day presentation by Carter Heyward at the Episcopal Divinity School in Boston.  She was interested in the work I was doing as Clinical Director of the Middlesex County D.U.I.L. Program, a two week inpatient treatment program for court referred multiple Driving Under the Influence offenders.  I was interested in the possibility of introducing a class on the role of spirituality in recovery.  


Our friendship seemed instantaneous. Inasmuch as she was living in Boston at the time with her husband Denny and I was living in Tewksbury, MA our paths didn't cross too often.  But invitations were extended and the friendship grew.  When they moved to a new home and held a House Blessing I was asked to say a prayer in the prayer room.  I attended a birthday party for Pat and gave her a small collection of Santas since she had just had her "Santa" book published.  I invited them both to a dinner party of "Paella" and introduced them to Paul and Jean who were going on a tour of Spain.  


I hired Pat at the DUIL Program to teach a class on spirituality and she was a great asset to the program.


At some point in our friendship, I'm not sure exactly when, we started meeting at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant in Burlington.  We always ordered the same thing!  The Jasmine Special, a wonderful dish of shrimp, broccoli and rice with Monterrey Jack cheese.  For dessert we would share Key Lime Pie!  


She went to EDS and earned her doctorate degree. She studied to become a priest. She read the psalms in Hebrew and wrote a translation of the Book of Psalms. Denny and Pat retired and moved to Amherst, MA. It was a two and a half hour drive but I managed to drive there several times. Then Denny was diagnosed with leukemia.  He valiantly fought the disease but eventually succumbed to it. I attended his funeral.


Pat remained in their house for awhile but then decided to move to North Carolina across the street from one of her daughters.  She is happy there but misses Massachusetts.  Yesterday she was back for a Homecoming at her Alma Mater, Wellsley!  We met at Legal Sea Foods in Burlington and, as always, ordered the Jasmine Special.  Cheryl was with me and had the opportunity to meet Pat.  After lunch, we drove her to Wellsley and enjoyed a tour of the campus.  It is beautiful! 


We have never lived near each other yet a friendship formed and has grown.  I greatly admire Pat.  And am very happy that our friendship has endured.  May we be blessed with future opportunities to enjoy each other's company.      

2 comments:

  1. O Dona this is beautiful. I feel teary eyed reading it. Our friendship has been such a blessing to me and I have grown to love you. You also awe and inspire me and I'm so glad your cancer treatment is going well. Prayer ascending for your consolidation coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, the feelings are mutual! I am looking forward to moving ahead in the leukemia protocol and greatly appreciate your prayers. I hope that the Homecoming has been fun!

    ReplyDelete